42RE Transmission Acting Up

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 08:11:30 EST

High folks, been away for some time, my interests have been focused on my
Barracuda.

Anyway, the tranny in my 99 Dakota has started acting up over the past couple
of weeks. It started as a whirring noise when it first started up on a cold
morning and while it was still cold (New England weather) I would get a slight
flare when shifting into third gear, but once warm it was fine. It has now
progressed to the whirring is present all the time when moving in gears 1-3 and
the tranny can't make up it's mind what gear it should be in. That is, when
accelerating from a stop it will shift from first to second fine then shift to
third and immediately back to second or first depending on how hard I am on the
throttle then back into third, it's has done this repeatably 2 to 3 times
before settling down. Once it's shifted to 4th it's fine. It's not setting the
check engine light but I haven't checked for codes yet.

The other thing that has happened in the past but is not happening now. when I
first start the engine the check engine light will come on and the car tranny
will start out in second gear. If I shut the engine off and restart it's fine
and the check engine light will go out after 3 or 4 start cycles. I have
checked the code and it has been a tranny code but I don't recall what the
number was. This usually has happened when there has been a large temperature
change with a lot of moisture and humidity. I had been pass that off as an
intermitant connection.

The other thing I notice now is that for as long as I have had the truck (5
years and 80k miles, total 140,000)I could hear the modulator solinoid ticking
just before each shift. I am not hearing it now.

Fluid looks good and does not smell burnt, but it's over due for a change and
filter. I have had ATF+4 in it since I got the truck.

Anyone got any good ideas? I am going to drop the pan and change the oil and
filter this week end.

Thanks,

Dave Clement