Re: 42RE Transmission Acting Up

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 20:18:35 EST

I just worked on workdak today,and put in a new
governor pressure sensor and transducer. This Dak has
50k miles,and the pan magnet was actually thick and
squishy it had so much metal stuck to it. Felt like it
was coated with thick black grease. It basically
shifts like new,now. But my main symptom was having to
let off the gas to get it to upshift into 4th. It
doesn't do that anymore.

Steve P.

--- david.clement@verizon.net wrote:

> High folks, been away for some time, my interests
> have been focused on my
> Barracuda.
>
> Anyway, the tranny in my 99 Dakota has started
> acting up over the past couple
> of weeks. It started as a whirring noise when it
> first started up on a cold
> morning and while it was still cold (New England
> weather) I would get a slight
> flare when shifting into third gear, but once warm
> it was fine. It has now
> progressed to the whirring is present all the time
> when moving in gears 1-3 and
> the tranny can't make up it's mind what gear it
> should be in. That is, when
> accelerating from a stop it will shift from first to
> second fine then shift to
> third and immediately back to second or first
> depending on how hard I am on the
> throttle then back into third, it's has done this
> repeatably 2 to 3 times
> before settling down. Once it's shifted to 4th it's
> fine. It's not setting the
> check engine light but I haven't checked for codes
> yet.
>
> The other thing that has happened in the past but is
> not happening now. when I
> first start the engine the check engine light will
> come on and the car tranny
> will start out in second gear. If I shut the engine
> off and restart it's fine
> and the check engine light will go out after 3 or 4
> start cycles. I have
> checked the code and it has been a tranny code but I
> don't recall what the
> number was. This usually has happened when there has
> been a large temperature
> change with a lot of moisture and humidity. I had
> been pass that off as an
> intermitant connection.
>
> The other thing I notice now is that for as long as
> I have had the truck (5
> years and 80k miles, total 140,000)I could hear the
> modulator solinoid ticking
> just before each shift. I am not hearing it now.
>
> Fluid looks good and does not smell burnt, but it's
> over due for a change and
> filter. I have had ATF+4 in it since I got the
> truck.
>
> Anyone got any good ideas? I am going to drop the
> pan and change the oil and
> filter this week end.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave Clement

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Black 4X4 Sport w/Hemi

2003 Dodge Dakota Sport CC Red 4X2 Sport w/3.9 and 42RE (Work truck,driven the most often)

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Silver 4X4 w/4.0 and 42RE

Looking for last minute shopping deals?