Re: Made in China

From: Tom Byrne (kerib@ptd.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 19:43:48 EST

Actually, most foreign governments hold dollars for three other reasons.

1) They get paid in dollars and usually buy U.S. made goods or use U.S.
services.

2) They invest in dollars because U.S. treasuries are still the safest and
we still have some of the highest interest rates in the developed world
(longer dated treasuries around 3.50 to 4.40%). I trade bonds and know who
is buying from me.

3) Most commodities, such as oil, are denominated in dollars. Oil trades in
dollars no matter who they buyer and seller is. If France buys oil from
Libya, the transaction is in dollars. This is fact.