Re: is this the end of the Dakota?

From: Tom Byrne (kerib@ptd.net)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 19:39:04 EST

That is exactly why they did it. The Durango (second gen) had a Hemi, but
did not compete against the Ram. The Durango would never take sales away
from the Ram, apples and oranges. The Dakota on the other hand could have
stolen sales from the Ram if it had a Hemi. Who would by a Rumble Bee when a
Hemi Dak would have blown its doors off.

GM did this in the 80s and 90s. Pontiac came out with an anniversary Trans
Am with a 3.8 Turbo (a la the Grand National. Chevrolet freaked because
performance was on par with the Vette for much less money. This is also why
the Camaro always got a less powerful version of the 5.7 liter engine during
its last run.

The more expensive the vehicle the wider the (potential) profit margin. If
that was not the case, we would see Hemi Rams and Turbo Avengers and maybe
even a V10 Charger. Auto makers don't want their cheap cars performing on
par with their expensive cars.