Re: Made in China

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 16:26:00 EST

Hey, Tom...

<> An artillery piece will reach its maximum range when fired at a 45 degree
angle. Anything more or less will result in shorter distances.<>

In MOST instances, yes, but while I was a Production Planner at Watervliet
Arsenal, I was the lead on a High Altitude Research Project (HARP) gun. We
took two obsolete VietNam Era 175mm Cannons & cut one of em in 1/2...The
original tube (as we called em) was 413 inches long & we threaded the muzzle
end with a big ole Acme thread & bored a thread on the extension & screwed
em together totalling about 620 inches...The principle behind the project
was to use a propellant to fire a round OUT OF THE ATMOSPHERE...The firing
angle was closer to 80 degrees...It would therefore be unaffected by air
friction and the lessened gravity would allow the round to re-enter the
atmosphere and impact a target more than twice as far away as a conventional
175mm, which shot a 30+ pound round about 18 miles...

We now return to the "China Syndrome" on WDML...

Bob (DAKSY) Smith
DAKSY2K on AIM
2K SY Dakota Sport +
V-6 4 x 4 5 speed