Re: Made in China

From: Tom Byrne (kerib@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 15:31:16 EST

I agree, but tax revenues actually went up when dividends wee cut because,
as the economy improved, more people were paying taxes in a higher bracket.
Taxes are like firing an artillery piece.

An artillery piece will reach its maximum range when fired at a 45 degree
angle. Anything more or less will result in shorter distances. Taxes are the
same way. If tax rates are too high, the economy slows and fewer people are
working or are not making as much money and tax revenues fall. If tax rates
are too low, revenue falls even though more people are working and are more
prosperous. The problem here is that no one knows for sure what the optimal
amount of taxes is.

History tells us that tax rates have been too high since the high-tax Great
Society years because tax revenues have risen with each cut and have risen
more than the population has increased. Raising taxes does not automatically
mean more revenue. It means fewer jobs and more tax avoidance.

I like a flat tax rate. Let everyone making more than $25k (to be adjusted
for inflation over time) pay a flat tax of 15% and eliminate most
deductions. Those making more will still pay more.