Re: DML stats

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 18:29:02 EST

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:
> jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>>
>> http://archives.dakota-truck.net/STATS
>>

> Adding up my two email addresses [dhspa58 and barrysuperhawk] I get 2127
> which puts my average squarely betwen Tom and Mike. I can love with
> that. ;-)

   I didn't know about that dhspa58 address; I've added it as an alias
for you, so your stats will all be combined under barrysuperhawk on
the next run, whenever that is. :-)

> It's ironic that Jon OWNS the list and he is only #3, while Bernd took
> how many YEARS off and he's still almost double the nearest competitor...

    And look how high St. Laurent scores, despite the relatively short
time he was actually subscribed.

    One of the major changes I plan to make to this script is to
ignore quoted content for the purposes of calculating the words and
bytes. It won't affect the number of posts obviously, but once only
original content is being counted, the advantage currently going to
those folks who don't trim properly will go away. The way it is
currently, if someone posts a one word reply to a 99 word post and
they don't trim, they get credited with 100 words. This is an
accurate count of overall bandwidth spewed to the list, but isn't a
fair count of that poster's word count in the form of actual
contributions to the list. Who knows when I will get around to that,
but I think it will be interesting to see how the results shake out
after that. (That should help those of us who haven't quite gotten a
handle on that whole "brevity is the soul of wit" thing, a group of
which I count myself a member.) ;-)

    I have all sorts of other ideas too like figuring out the first
and last post for a DMLer to compute how long they have been on the
list, this will also allow computing a post/words/bytes per day stat
for each DMLer, getting it into HTML instead of text format with the
ability to sort the columns, etc.

    I'm sure I'll get to it all in my copious spare time... ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-