Re: End of the Dakota???

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 18:43:58 EST

"Dustin Williams" <dustinewilliams@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Only Dodge vehicles have names that actually mean
>> something. That is what I have been trying to get
>> across to you peeps!!
>>
> My favorite is the story behind the name of the Dakota. Dodge
> sponsered the PBR in either 86 or 87 and announced that the top bull
> in the season would get a pick up named after him. Dakota went though
> the entire season with out even the best of cowboys being able to ride
> him, and the name of our trucks was born.

   Really? Where did you get that info? Not that I don't believe
you necessarily, :-) I'm just curious if it is firsthand info or
something that you had heard somewhere? It just seems like one of
those things that sounds cool, and gets repeated, but upon closer
inspection starts to fall apart. IMHO, it doesn't seem like a smart
thing for Dodge to have done unless they had an out somewhere. I
mean, take a look at a list of rodeo bull names sometime. Almost none
are suitable for the name of a truck. (Here are a few, for example:
http://www.pbrnow.com/ridersbulls/search/bull_results.cfm?ContID=386)

   I just can't conceive of us driving around in a Dodge Hoobastank or
a Dodge Clueless Quad Cab. :-) Considering how anal the automotive
companies are about their vehicles, I just can't conceive of one
throwing the dice like that.

   (FYI, the Dakota was introduced in 1986 as a 1987 model, so it
definitely wouldn't have been 1987, and it would have had to have been
early in 1986. I can't seem to find a schedule from 1986, but
nowadays, the season seems to run all year, from December to November,
so if that was the case back then, it would have to have been the 1985
season that this happened.)

--
                                          -Jon-