OT Question: 97 Jeep trouble code

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 23:41:42 EST

My GF's Grand Cherokee blew the water pump yesterday.
She just had one put in a little over 2 years ago at a
local shop. The warranty on the pump was only 1 year
so she had to eat the cost of a new pump. Personally,
I think they may have over tensioned the belt and
caused the pump to wear out pre-maturely. The shaft
was loose and you could hear the bearings making
noise.

I found her a new pump at AutoZone for $35 plus the
cost of some RTV and anti-freeze. I pulled the old
pump off and waited till she got home to install the
new one. In order to get the fan bolts back on, I had
to bump the starter a couple times so I could reach
the bolts. After I got everything buttoned up and
re-filled the radiator I started the engine. I waited
till the coolant started coming up in the fill neck at
the radiator cap and put the cap on. The engine
sounded like it had a small miss and it smelled rich
while running at idle. I let it run for a bit and
watched the air purging into the recovery tank. I went
to check and see if I had any heat in the cab and I
was still getting cold air. That's when I noticed a
check engine light on. I shut the engine off and did
the key on key off thing and got code 12, 51, and 55.
I know what 12 and 55 are but I wasn't sure about 51.
I looked it up on the DML code page and it said "A
lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an
abnormally rich correction factor" I wondered about it
for a minute then decided to disconnect the battery
and see if the code returned. While I was waiting for
the codes to clear, I topped off the cooling system
and re-attached the battery cable. I started the truck
and it seemed to run normal and the check engine light
stayed off. Had good heat in the cab so I'm pretty
sure I got all the air out of the system.

But I'm wondering, it still smells a bit on the rich
side. Could having the cooling system low and or
bumping the engine over a few times while removing and
re-installing the fan have dumped a bunch of raw fuel
into the manifold? What could cause this condition?
I'm trying to remember from the days when I worked at
AZ and I think I recall that code 51 may possibly mean
a bad cat. I'm going to run it for a few days and see
if any codes return.

Any input y'all may have would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and BTW, the heater core in the Dak IS leaking and
the local shop (not the same one my GF took the Jeep
to) says $450 for the remove and replace, plus the
cost of the part. I can get a new core from AZ for
$30. Till then, I have the heater core by-passed. I
only live 3 blocks or so from work and the truck
really doesn't have a chance to warm up from the time
I leave the driveway till I get to work. Till I really
need it, I can like without the heat.

Thanks!

Ray