Re: DML Stats Page

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 16:08:28 EST

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> http://archives.dakota-truck.net/STATS/HTML/index.html

> Jon - holy smokes man - when you set out to do something you really
> give 'er all!

> Serious Mega Kudos on your work on the stats page. I'm experiencing
> Geek Statistical Nirvana

   Thanks, Tom! :-) I've been working on updating the stats page in
my spare time over the past few weeks - just plugged in the new
changes a couple of days ago, but hadn't gotten around to announcing
anything yet. I'm something of a stats geek myself, so I've been
having fun looking through them, and have been wasting a little time
with the "random post" feature, which has been a pleasant trip back in
time. :-)

   The main catch though is that whereas I could run the original
version of the stats script in 2 hours, it now takes over 24 hours to
do a full run. I've added an "update" mode to the script though which
basically can combine the posts which have been sent through the list
since the last time the report was run, so there is less to churn
through; that version takes around 8 hours or so. I'm thinking of
having the script run automatically in that mode, maybe every month or
every couple of weeks.

   I went ahead and put a link to the stats on the DML home page, (it
wasn't linked before), or you can get to it directly at
http://archives.dakota-truck.net/stats

   If anyone is listed under more than one e-mail address and wants to
have them combined, they can use the very creatively named "E-Mail
Address Combiner" on the stats page to do so. Of course, I am also
always open to ideas for improvements or new features. I can't
guarantee that I'll actually get around to them, but you never know.
:-)

> Amazing to see that my longest post was the one about Gen I engine swaps
> hehe.

  Yeah, that surprised me a bit too. "Hey, he just posted that!" :-)
Ironically, my longest post was from a few years back, about the
stats. :-) It was a reply to you, which, also ironically, was the
post in which you came up with the idea for DML statistics. (So this
whole thing is all your fault!) ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-