Re: Wet Lights

From: rll (charger69rt@cox.net)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 22:33:36 EST

Re: DML: Wet Lights

Either way, with ventilation it's water in and water out. The problem
I had with my tail light, pre-drain holes was there was nowhere for
the water to go so it would fill up and short out the bulb, then I'd
get pulled over (the second time I had a little to drink, fortunately
the cop left it at the burned out tail light). Now it may get a bit
damp, but it won't fill up. Head lights of course produce a lot more
heat so so it would be vapors not standing water and a vent would be
plenty adequate rather than a full blown drain hole.

Re: DML: Wet Lights

Once had a 67 dodge dart.

One tail light bulb would constantly fail.

Usually when i discovered the light was out, the bulb
would be broken without a clue why.

We were towing a 61 lancer home behind the dart one night and i
noticed the driver's side tail light lens, seemed to be cracked.

However when we went around a corner the "crack" went from being
horizontal to a banked angle.

Used a couple of tubes of rtv trying to seal the assembly, finally drilled
a 1/4" hole in the bottom of it to let what ever water that would get in, get out.

A couple of 1/4 inch holes in the bottom of any headlight assembly would certainly
let any water out and plenty of air in to vent whatever moisture in past whatever seal.

Driving underwater may be a problem, so your results may vary.

rob/ferts/phx