Re: How did you find the DML?

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 19:02:03 EDT

I found the list right after buying my 99 Dak Sport
V6. I was using Web TV at the time,which was just
awesome. You could download nothing,watch very
little,and only hear certain Real Audio. But my Web TV
picked up the DML without any snow or multipath
distortion! (I think the DML only put out like 3500
watts at the time,too.) I can't remember when I
enlisted here. Must have been late '99 or early 2000.
And I've been changing people's lives ever since. :)

Steve P.

--- DAKSY <rsmith13@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> Hey, DML,
> Just sittin around totally bored & still a bit
> contrite over the minor flap
> I initiated & I started thinking about how I found
> tis list to begin with...
>
> Well, let me tell ya...
> I was still working at Watervliet Arsenal & it was a
> slow day & I was the
> proud owner of a 2K Solar Yellow Dakota...
> I'd had it since Dec. 99 & this was probably Feb
> 2K...
> I had finally gotten a computer with internet access
> & I started to wonder
> if I could find a model of the Dak that I could
> assemble & paint & display
> on a bookshelf at home...
> I searched for Revell - one of the model makers I
> remembered as a
> kid...Nothing...
> I searched for other model makers...again,
> nothing...
> So I entered the words 2000 Dodga Dakota & tried
> some variations on models,
> toys, die-cast, etc. & wasn't aving any luck...
> I did start to notice a little pattern, tho...
> Seems that every time I got a list of results for my
> queries, there were
> many instances of the same 3 letter acronym...DML...
> I kept searching & seeing DML & kept passing it
> by...
> Finally, I said to myself "Self, maybe you should
> see WTF that means. Maybe
> that's where all the Dak models are hiding!"
> So I clicked on a link & got something (which I
> found out later was called a
> "thread...") & read about somebody's Dakota
> problem or modification or something...
> Interest piqued, I bounced around til I came to the
> Dakota Mailing List Home
> Page (or whatever it's called) & found the sign up
> link...
> Filled in the required info, got into the list &
> introduced myself...
> You have to understand that I had very little
> experience with a 'puter at
> that time & didn't really know what to expect...
> Anyway I was called away from my desk for an hour or
> so & when I got back, I
> logged into my e-mail account & had
> a full page of posts! Holy Sh*T! I can't have e-mail
> coming out of my ears
> while working for the Feds!
> I figured out how to get to the Digest Mode & mostly
> lurked...
> Made for long days, waiting for a DML Digest to come
> my way...but it was
> better for me to screen the posts
> by subject while I was supposed to be working...
> Anyhoo, later that year, Susan moved in with me &
> brought her 'puter with
> her & I've been here ever since!
>
> How did you stumble across this knowledgeable,
> friendly, passionate (&
> sometimes Dysfunctional!) family of Dak lovers?
>
> Bob (DAKSY) Smith
> (Curious minds...)
> DAKSY2K on AIM
> 2K SY Dakota Sport +
> [...]