RE: Fuel Mix Computer

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 21:42:32 EDT

I'm familiar with that cam - it's the same one in my new 5.9L and the same
one I use on other builds I've done at the dealership. It also depends on
compression ratio and how much porting was done to the heads (flow
characteristics). Yes, it will run rich at idle due to the overlap - no way
around that unless you either custom program the PCM or run a fuel "tuning"
add-on.

Best combination I've found (yes, on a dealership Dyno and fuel curve
tuning) - AEM Piggy Back, 24# injectors, and an effective compression ratio
right close to 10:1. It's much easier to take away fuel% with larger
injectors than with smaller ones. The APEXi will help out quite a bit
though - it took care of my rich condition at idle on the old V6 (10.5:1,
.540" lift, 220 duration, and a lot of porting and CC work to the
heads)...even passed a sniffer test on our emissions machine (without the
cat - we were curious and had to check).

- Bernd