RE: Ray: your Ported heads

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2008 - 08:19:54 EDT

Wrong, Dan. :-) The heads I had ported were stock magnum heads from a 2000
Dakota R/T.

I know this R/T thing has confused some folks so I'll explain the
difference.

Heads found on Dakota R/T's are just plain magnum heads as used on any 5.2
and 5.9 magnum engine.

Magnum R/T heads are aftermarket heads from Mopar Performance, easily
identifiable by the "R/T" cast into them near the spark plug holes.

The functional difference is the MP R/T heads have much larger ports than
stock magnum heads and are available with the stock 1.92" or larger 2.02"
intake valves.

I would never, ever, recommend the MP R/T heads for a 318, nor would I use
them on a mild 360.

Matter of fact, now that Edelbrock has a competitively priced aluminum
magnum head, I wouldn't use the MP R/T heads on anything! I also wouldn't
use the Edelbrocks on a street driven 318.

In my opinion, a mild clean-up on stock magnum heads is more than sufficient
for any naturally aspirated, street driven truck. They work for me.

Ray