Re: Neon problems, and Milky sludge on PCV Valve

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 23:24:52 EDT

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> Nope....sounds like the engine is going south. The 2.0L is also notorious
> for letting go of the head gasket if it's not torqued down properly and/or
> if the head/block isn't straight.
>
> - Bernd

Well I did a text book head gasket intall... so I don't know if the
gasket would have gone our already. I used the multi layer steel gasket
as recommended... all new headbolts... torqued down in sequence to the
specd numbers. The head was checked by a machine shop to make sure it
was not warped. Granted I didnt check the block. The mating surfaces
were perfectly clean. I use pure acetone to clean all my gasket mating
surfaces. Havn't had any problems doing that so far.

I was just putzing around on Neons.org and saw a procedure for swapping
in the newer "magnum" 2.0's from the later mdoel neons.. and it looks
like a lot more work than I really want to deal with. I've been down
that road with franekstine projects already. I gather that the older
neon intake manifolds will not work with the newer engines?

A lot of the procedure focused on merging the two engine componants. I
was hoping I could just take the newer engine block/head and swap over
all the 96 componants? (intake, exhaust manifolds, etc etc..)

Could I take a newer block and put the older head/intake on it? I know
thats lots of extra work I suppose...

Damnit... I never seem to be able to make wise choices with my vehicular
purchases. Everything I drive turns to shit.

The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj
An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine