Re: RE: Silly engine question

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 22:06:02 EDT

> Your stock intake system would be better than the '97-newer aftermarket
> systems. (the gen III guys don't know what they missed) ;-)
>
> Does your air cleaner have a hose running to the radiator support? (it
> should. If you need one, I think I have an extra) If you remove the grille
> you should find a little plastic plate covering the hole to the intake tube.
> Remove that and you'll pick up a nice performance gain at higher rpms.
>
> You'll even have cooler air than the newer systems and it will cost you
> nothing.

I checked mine out and saw the plate...that's the stupidest thing I've
ever seen (that is except for the massive pieces of plastic blocking
the the air flow molded into the hose on the Chevy Corsica I had in
college). I took it out. Lately it's felt a bit sluggish, and now it
seems a bit more responsive. Of course it could have all been in my
head or more likely in my foot or it could have been because the air
hose had popped out of place at some point (before I started messing
with it) so it had quite a bit extra blocking the air flow, of course
I snapped it back in it's proper place.

What's the purpose of that plate to begin with? The only reason I
could think of was that it could help keep bugs out of the air filter.

> If you start making a lot of extra horsepower you could grab another stock
> air cleaner from the junkyard, cut the snorkel off and add it to yours for a
> little more air flow. That's all I'm using, running 12's and shifting at
> 6000 rpm. See a picture here:
> http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f400/rtxpres/Dakengine.jpg

Since I'm trying to picture what you had to do (I don't have any need
to for that much air flow) you would have had to cut a hole in your
air cleaner to mount the snorkel, then weld that in place, and cut a
hole behind the grill to mount the hose there, is that correct?

> BTW, if you haven't made an "S" bolt for yours, do it. A piece of hardware
> store all-thread will work nicely. Couple of bends in a vice and you're all
> set.

What's the S bolt do?

Dustin Williams
Tacoma, WA