Re: Cutoff year for transmission swap? (also looking for engine/trans)

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 23:10:58 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2006, at 18:39, Jon wrote:
>

>> I'm thinking of swapping a late model smallblock transmission into
>> a '78 Dodge van. i.e. A518/46RH/46RE. I seem to recall that at some
>> point, the transmissions got too much electronics put in 'em to make
>> them viable for a swap into an older vehicle. My memory is bit fuzzy
>> here, but I think on the earlier transmissions, the only elecronics
>> required would be a momentary switch to turn overdrive on and off,
>> then I think maybe a later model also required a switch for the
>> lockup, and later than that, you basically need a computer to run the
>> thing. Could somebody in the know give me the low-down on this?
>

> I think you've got the basics laid out. I'm going to be putting a 46RH
> into a '97 TJ behind a slightly newer 360 that has a manual trans PCM,
> so I'll let you know how that ends up working out. Seems pretty
> similar to what you're planning, just in a very different platform.
>
> In a month or two (not sure if it'll be before or after CO) I'll let
> you know how it goes.

Keep in mind that the 46Rh, while not electronically controlled, still
depends on the PCM from an automatic, to engage the torque converter
lock up, and to engage the overdrive.

This was a major problem I ran into with the V8 build up for Christine.
  The PCM I got does not have the programming provisions to engage the
OD and the lockup.

You will have to either switch OD and lockup manually, using toggle
switches, devise some means of having them automatically engage... with
vehicle speed, or locate an approperiate ECM. A Ram from 1995 should
have a PCM with a 46RH tranny.

The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj
An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine