Re: Electrical PITA

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 14:26:57 EDT

On Wed, April 30, 2008 1:39 pm, Don Rey said:

> If the problem were a bad connection, I would expect to
> get either low voltage or no voltage... and maybe intermittant
> triggered by some jostling... but not full voltage one moment, and
> suddenly zero voltage triggered only by the ignition switch.

A flaky connection can carry full voltage at low current, but then when you
want to put full current through it it craps out. There's a reason they use
heavy gauge wire for battery and starter connections instead of cheaper
light-duty wire. If you have a connection on a heavy-duty wire that's 90%
corroded it's just like having a light gauge wire instead. You might as well
try to funnel a fire hose through a drinking straw, it just doesn't work.

I have a battery disconnect switch and have to re-tighten it every couple of
months, otherwise I get all kinds of weird stuff. I've had what you're
talking about, then re-tightened that switch and had no problems. I'm not
sure why everything goes dead, there must be some sort of failsafe protection
built in to the system to shut it down before it melts.

Someone else suggested to check your grounds, that's a good place to look
after cleaning the battery terminals. And the connection at the starter.