Re: Best MPG Num-bar EVAR

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 11:22:36 EDT

Ewraven wrote:

> I love talking about Miles per gallon. Since going fast isn't really
> an option, I've made hypermiling my new automotive goal/hobby.
>
> I just recently got a best MPG in my Dakota. 22.00762 Miles per
> gallon attained in March of this year! My average speed for this tank
> was 50.80 miles per hour. This was done on the freeway for 80 miles
> with roughly twelve miles being on city streets.
>
> My previous best was 19.9 miles per gallon which I attained back in
> February of this year with an average speed of 42.12 miles per hour.
>
> You probably won't believe it after this though... lol
> My Dakota is a 1999 model Sport 4x4, off road and towing package, Club
> Cab, 5 speed manual, 5.2 liter with 3.55 gears and running the factory
> option size of 31x10.50R15 tires.
>
> My truck is modified however. At the time I had a 9 inch round open
> element air cleaner with a K&N 9 inch by 2 7/8 inch air filter. A
> Hughes engines stage 1 ported and filled beer barrel intake manifold,
> a 50mm ported ebay throttle body and a Flowmaster 40 series muffler
> keeping the factory exhaust piping and routing.
>
> I also have Amsoil in the transfer case and engine and synthetic
> fluids in both of the differentials. Penzoil synchromesh is in the
> transmission though I guess it is really the factory equivalent.
>
> I have zero aero modifications and the tailgate stays on the truck and
> in the closed position at all times. I do have a large aluminum
> diamond plate toolbox in the bed that is always full of roughly 100
> pounds of tools and things.
>
> That 19.9 miles per gallon number was with these cheapo Goodyear all
> terrain tires on it.
>
> I also run 89 octane due to the fact that it pings with 87 octane
> which has to be due to the modifications.
>
> I had tried a superchips tuner at one time but had to return it
> because my truck pinged like crazy with just the 87 octane program. I
> decided it wasn't worth it if I had to run 91+ octane gas just with
> the 87 octane program. A call to Superchips confirmed that this would
> be required because of my modifications.
>
> The 22.00762 miles per gallon was achieved with some fresh Falken Ziex
> ST/Z tires. Despite being a pretty big tire at 31x10.50R15, they are
> a much more street oriented tire than your typical all terrain tire.
> I'm guessing that lower rolling resistance helped a lot with that 22
> mpg. I also keep 35 psi in my tires.

not bad! I'm not going to some extremes that I've heard people doing -
like drafting SEMI's and taking turns at 50 MPH... but I'm having fun
trying to erk as much economy outta the neon as possible.

When it comes to my trucks... I've been thinking about how to boost the
economy of those. I'll have to drop the tires down to stock size and
remove the suspension leveler kit. I would give that a try - but I just
dont have the cash to drop on a new set of tires.

  I already have a bed cover... and frankly theres not much I can take
off that truck to lower its weight. Driving slower really helps - but
at least around here... even doing the speed limit is going to piss
people off. On my little trek yesterday with the neon I was doing
between 65 and 70 in a 65... and I was getting passed constantly - even
if I would have been doing 75 I would have been passed. People around
here drive nuts.

I dont think that truck will ever get good fuel economy. heh oh well

The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj
An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine