Re: Carfax, anyone?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 11:56:39 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Uh oh, this sounds like it might be serious! :-)

Turns out, not so much. I was considering this:
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/car/658580876.html

In the end, I decided (again) that I'm better off sticking with what I know
than taking risks on an unknown car. Same as last year, and the year before
that. Seems like every year when the summer price gouging hits I start
thinking about a smaller car, and every year I end up chickening out. It
would be different if I didn't have any transportation, or could afford
something new.

That Escort was in pretty good condition for its age, and it would have been
hard to beat for the price. I'm just too afraid of all the unknowns to take
any risks that big. With the Dakota, at least I know it costs $200-250 per
month for fuel so I can plan around it, and I know what most of its issues
are, and I know at least a little about what to do to fix them. So, once
more, I'm back to the plan of driving the Dakota until it disintegrates and
just coughing up for the gas.

I think I am going to try to find a carpool, or another job closer to home, or
a second job, or something. I've done every easy spending cutback I can think
of, and it's still not enough. Time for the harder choices.