OT: ground wire from body to front shock/strut?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 09 2008 - 17:46:35 EDT

   I replaced the front rotors on my Mom's PT Cruiser the other day
and noticed a broken wire in the front passenger wheel well. Turned
out to be what looks like a ground wire that runs from the body to the
shock tower/strut. I haven't bothered fixing it yet; the driver's side
has one too, though that one isn't broken. Its a pretty thick wire,
somewhere around 10-12 gauge I'd say.

   Given the penny pinching ways of the automotive companies, I'm
guessing this must serve some purpose, but I'm not exactly sure what.
Only thing I can think of is maybe there's an ABS sensor or something
in the hub that uses a chassis ground, and that wire is a safety to
ensure a good ground for that sensor? Doesn't seem like that would be
necessary with all of the possible ground paths though. Plus, since
I'm assuming you've got to run a signal wire to an ABS sensor, why not
just run a ground wire along the same path? The body side of the
connection just kinda used a big clip underneath a grommet in the
body; it doesn't really even look like a decent ground connection,
lots of possiblity for corrosion there.

   Anyhoo, that kinda piqued my curiosity, just thought I would post
to see if anyone had any ideas there, and figure out if its worth the
time to pull the wheel again and splice in a section of wire to
reconnect it. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-