Re: OT: ground wire from body to front shock/strut?

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 10 2008 - 22:58:15 EDT

Yes,you should reconnect it Jon,and here's why:

Ground wires are full of what are called "electrons".
These forgotten molecules are largely responsible for
such things as engine idle speed,horsepower,and EGR
(engine ground resistance) vacuum. It's very important
that it does not remain disconnected for long,as the
longer that it hangs there,the more difference of
potential that accumulates. For every ten minutes it
dangles,you figure you have to multiply that 12 volts
by a multiplier of five. We're talking terawatts here.
That could fry your brake booster,proportioning
valve,McPherson struts,and every other electronic part
on the vehicle!

Please be careful,Jon. We will all watch. And pray. :)

Steve P.
--- jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> I replaced the front rotors on my Mom's PT
> Cruiser the other day
> and noticed a broken wire in the front passenger
> wheel well. Turned
> out to be what looks like a ground wire that runs
> from the body to the
> shock tower/strut. I haven't bothered fixing it
> yet; the driver's side
> has one too, though that one isn't broken. Its a
> pretty thick wire,
> somewhere around 10-12 gauge I'd say.
>
> Given the penny pinching ways of the automotive
> companies, I'm
> guessing this must serve some purpose, but I'm not
> exactly sure what.
> Only thing I can think of is maybe there's an ABS
> sensor or something
> in the hub that uses a chassis ground, and that wire
> is a safety to
> ensure a good ground for that sensor? Doesn't seem
> like that would be
> necessary with all of the possible ground paths
> though. Plus, since
> I'm assuming you've got to run a signal wire to an
> ABS sensor, why not
> just run a ground wire along the same path? The
> body side of the
> connection just kinda used a big clip underneath a
> grommet in the
> body; it doesn't really even look like a decent
> ground connection,
> lots of possiblity for corrosion there.
>
> Anyhoo, that kinda piqued my curiosity, just
> thought I would post
> to see if anyone had any ideas there, and figure out
> if its worth the
> time to pull the wheel again and splice in a section
> of wire to
> reconnect it. :-)
>
> --
> -Jon-