Re: tire help and a quick guess about the throttle body sticking

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun May 11 2008 - 23:31:18 EDT

Ewraven <ewraven@gmail.com> wrote:
> In regards to the posts to the list about the throttle sticking...

> I'm fairly certain that there shouldn't be any resistance on a
> butterfly valve such as that in a throttle body due to there being
> more pressure on one side than the other. This the whole reason that
> it is a butterfly valve. When you think about the way that it is
> designed, the vacuum from within the intake manifold exerts a negative
> pressure on one half the throttle blade while the other half has
> positive pressure as it is opened. Any forces are cancelled out by
> the inherent design. I don't have the proper vocabulary I think to
> explain it but that is the best I can do.

   Yep, makes sense to me. The engine vacuum is trying to close the
front half of the blade with the same force as it is trying to pull
open the rear half of the blade. Since the hinge is in the middle,
this should result in the same force required to open the valve, no
matter what the vacuum.

--
                                          -Jon-