Re: tire help and a quick guess about the throttle body sticking

From: Ewraven (ewraven@gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 10 2008 - 02:02:20 EDT

Hmm, I have a very similar truck. 1999 model 4x4 with 31x10.50R15
tires. I just got some of these in the last two months from the local
Discount Tire...
Falken Ziex S/TZ-04

They are more street oriented which is better for my daily driver
Dakota. I like them alot. You can't beat a 50,000 mile warranty and
they were only 96 dollars a pop at the time when I got them from
Discount Tire. Over at DiscountTire.com, they are presently 99.00
dollars which is still a good deal.

These tires are a little noisy but only when losing traction, they do
like to squeal in other words. But that just gives me a reason to
keep my foot out of it! In the rain, they are very good tires and
offer excellent hydroplaning resistance. Cornering wise, they could be
a little better but they are a 50k mile rated tire too though so I
guess the rubber is a little hard.

In regards to the posts to the list about the throttle sticking...

I'm fairly certain that there shouldn't be any resistance on a
butterfly valve such as that in a throttle body due to there being
more pressure on one side than the other. This the whole reason that
it is a butterfly valve. When you think about the way that it is
designed, the vacuum from within the intake manifold exerts a negative
pressure on one half the throttle blade while the other half has
positive pressure as it is opened. Any forces are cancelled out by
the inherent design. I don't have the proper vocabulary I think to
explain it but that is the best I can do.

I worked on "Four Fan Trash Cans"(C-130's haha) in the Air Force which
is where I figured this out when I saw that the pressure
relieve/equalizer valve for the fuselage of a visiting C-5 Galaxy is a
rather large but simple butterfly valve. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't
know for sure.

Josh