Re: Gas filler tube

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 18:48:08 EDT

ttroidl@bluefrog.com wrote:

> Anyone know where I can get one for my '97 sport?
> Mine rusted thru and I loose gas filling up $$$ not to mention a bit of a system pressure leak!

> I tried a local place that sells southern parts, $120 used, and he has to order it!

> OUCH!

> I mean that COULD be enough to pay for a tank of gas and I'm gonna spend that on the filler tube?

   I'm not familiar with what the filler tube looks like on the
GenIII, but one thing that comes to mind is to pull it out of there
and once you see what you're working with, possibly you can just have
a local muffler shop bend up a piece of appropriately sized exhaust
tubing to match. If you know a commercial electrician, they might be
able to do the same thing with conduit.

   A piece of large diameter tubing from a hardware store and a couple
of hose clamps might accomplish the same thing, though you'd probably
want to check that the tubing is fuel resistant. (And mount it in
such a way that the tube won't chafe.)

   Another possible option is to pull the tube out and use some sort
of tape and/or goop to seal up the leak, if it isn't too bad.

   I dunno if any of the above helps or not, thats just some musings
off the top of my head. If it were me, I'd pull the tube out to see
exactly what I'm working with, and then take it from there.

> Gotta replace the tank straps too, rst-157's are aropund $50 unless
> someone here knows a place I can get those too?

   Rock Auto has tank straps for a little less than $28; I'm not sure
if that is each or for the pair.

--
                                          -Jon-