Re: Rear sway bar size...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun May 25 2008 - 14:40:13 EDT

"Joe B." <JoeB327@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I have a 1999 QC 4x4. I want to replace the rear sway bar bushings
>> because they are worn and I am getting the "clunk" sound over bumps. I
>> thought I read here in the DML that the prefered replacement bushings
>> were from NAPA, blue colored ones. I tried finding the post again but
>> couldn't :-( Anyways, according to NAPA, they only carry two sizes of
>> bushings, 16mm and 18mm. I measured my sway bar in multiple places and
>> it measures only 15mm. I priced the bushings at Dodge and they are $15
>> EACH!! My question is if there would be too much slop with the 16mm
>> bushing on the 15mm bar? Any other suggestions or opinions are
>> welcome. Thanks
>> Joe B.
>>

> Anyone???

   Sorry, I didn't reply before because I am not familiar with GenIII
swaybar bushings as far as what is the correct size, and how much slop
(if any) is OK. But, since you are getting desperate, :-) one thing
that comes to mind is possibly you could wrap the bar with something
to build it up in the area of the bushing - aluminum flashing perhaps?
Or maybe a strip of old innertube if you think the metal on metal
might make some noise.

   Heh - is it just me, or are my repair tips to the DML becoming more
ghetto as time goes on? :-)

--
                                          -Jon-