Re: Front axle shafts

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu May 29 2008 - 12:04:20 EDT

On Wed, May 28, 2008 9:07 pm, Terrible Tom said:

> Eh I had the spindle nuts off Christines axles lots of times and never
> replaced em. I know its a good idea to do that - and for some styles
> its required, like those that dont use a cotter pin (pinch nuts).

Mine have the little "crown" that sits over the nut to lock it in place, then
a cotter pin goes through the crown. The problem with the ones at AutoZone
was that they were shorter than stock, and didn't reach where the crown needs
to sit in order to work with the pin. (If that makes any sense.) We thought
about using a big washer, but Jon didn't have any handy, and I wasn't sure it
was a good idea anyway.

> I have not seen an aftermarket
> supplier that did not sell new spindle nuts WITH the axles. If you get
> them from AZ - you should get nuts. Infact - make sure they are in the
> boxes.

Well, let's hope they're less useless than the ones I bought and promptly
returned last time.

> Christines original motormouts
> were still good when I pulled the premag engine - but I think you have
> more miles on your truck - so they probably have more wear.

I just hit 147,000 mi.

Thanks for the info.