Drive shaft u-joint or trans

From: Chris Reck (chris_blm@comcast.net)
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 20:22:29 EDT

I was putting in my friend's sailboat the other day and while I was on the
boat ramp, I switched from reverse to park to help tie the boat up. I heard
a loud noise almost like you're grinding gears for 1/4 sec. Is this a worn
rear driveshaft or trans/differential issue?

I did have it in 4-wheel low so I could get enough torque to carry the boat
up and down the ramp (boat and trailer weigh 5000+ pounds).

Thanks!

Chris Reck
Bloomington, IL

'99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 V6 (Deep Amethyst)
"It's not the meat, it's how you apply the rub"