Re: coolant troubles

From: jherrman@zoominternet.net
Date: Sat May 31 2008 - 21:54:30 EDT

On Sat, 31 May 2008 21:22:26 -0400, Terrible Tom
<silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> well first thing first - did you add any coolant to it at all since this
> all started? I get the feeling you have not. Thats the first thing you
> need to do before you drive it anymore. It sounds like you're driving
> with it very low on coolant. You will cause lots of not-nice damage if
> coolant is not added and you continue to drive.

Thanks for the help.

I haven't added any coolant, because the overflow tank still shows
full. But I'm not driving it until I do. Once the local supply store
opens on Monday (the only place within walking distance), I will top
off the radiator and follow the FSM procedure for purging air. Then
maybe I can drive to a shop, instead of having it towed.

What I don't get is how the temp gauge would read fine for 75 miles,
presumably with a loose radiator cap (unless somehow the cap came
loose itself a day later) and then all of these overheating symptoms
appear a day later. Is it conceivable that it took that long to boil
out enough coolant to cause a problem?