RE: coolant troubles

From: Brian (hskr@cox.net)
Date: Sat May 31 2008 - 23:45:52 EDT

WOW. Yes, it could take that long for the coolant to leak enough out to the
point of being too low like you are now. As for the overflow reservoir, if
there isn't enough coolant in your system to keep you from overheating, then
the system isn't going to recirculate properly and the fluid in the
reservoir won't be sucked into the engine. Especially since it all leaked
out when the cap was loose, thus not building up any pressure.

Don't add just anti-freeze/coolant either. Personally, I'd just top it off
with water for now, then when doing the "bleed" procedure from the FSM, use
coolant. If you are going to wait until the local shop opens up to buy
stuff, then get the 50/50 pre-mixed stuff, and you will probably need at
least two gallons.

When you opened the hood and saw fluid all over the engine, that should have
been the first sign that you might need to top off the coolant system. Then
when you noticed there was no water in the radiator hose when you replaced
the radiator cap, that should have been the next sign that you might be low
on coolant. Then the first time you overheated, and you said the upper hose
felt cool, then once again, here's your sign. If there's not enough water
in the block to let the water touch the thermostat, then the thermostat
isn't going to open.

brian cropp