Re: M1

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 19:45:49 EDT

"Jamie Calder" <JCalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Thanks Bernd and Jon. Here's some Summit pricing to go by:
> 2bbl $582
> 4bbl $354
> 4 bbl $228 cheaper!

    Wow! $600 for an intake manifold - that is *insane*!!!! (I just
jumped on Summit's web site, and I see they have what looks like a
version of the 2BBL, p/n 5007398AB for which they are asking $650!!!!
I'm not sure how that one differs from the $582 2bbl, and I wasn't
motivated enough to delve further.) :-) I've bought entire, working
engines for less than that!

    I was going to suggest looking into adding fuel injector bungs to
the carbureted version and finding or building a 4bbl to 2bbl throttle
body adapter, but they want $364 for that one! (The MPI version is
the exact same manifold, except extra work has been done to drill out
the injector bosses and it comes with a throttle body adapter, and all
this for $10 LESS than the base manifold?) I should just give up any
hope of ever understanding Ma Mopar's pricing strategies. :-)

    Looks like your only other option is something like an Edelbrock
RPM Air gap, but that's still not cheap at $300, and needs injector
bungs and a throttle body adapter to boot, probably not something
you're going to be able to do for the extra $50 unless you do all the
work yourself and get some really smoking deals, and even then you'd
probably just break even.

   That's a bit of a bummer, I certainly don't envy your situation.
:-( Heck, I'd be tempted to just run the stock beer barrel (possibly
with some porting) and hope against hope to score a good deal on an
MPI M1 at a swap meet or something, but then again, I *am* known as
something of a cheapskate, so that might just be me. :-)

   I'm sure glad I bought my MPI when I did! Had I known, I would
have bought a bunch more and made myself a tidy profit - the
equivalent of finding an 8 year, 12% CD! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-