Re: Truck won't start (longish)

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 11:08:32 EDT

Jon N. Benignus wrote:

> Hello again, gang.
> haven't been on the list for a couple years and resubbed last week.
> Been lurking until today...boy, someone either needs a cuppa or has had a cuppa
> too many...
> Anyhoo, my dilemma:
> 92 V6 AT, 150k miles, no mods. hadn't been driven for a bit, I had just replaced
> the exhaust from the Y-pipe back. Took it in for inspection, then to license
> office. On the way the voltmeter read 17v. When leaving the office it wouldn't
> start until I matted the pedal.
> ran fine, still overcharging.
> Had to drive it to work the next day (Both the Spirit and Guzzi were down).
> ran fine, still overcharging, confirmwed by DMM, 17v at idle.
> Got home, shut it off and then no start. Checked for spark from coil, none.
> Checked inside distributor, and it had lots of oil in it. Okay, need to change
> dizzy. I bought one a few years ago from a fellow on the list, so temporarily
> used the pickup from it and change cap and rotor (good one from NAPA). Still no
> spark.
> Now, since the voltage regulator is in the ECU I bought a used one. Still
> nothing.
> Checked for voltage at pin 9 on the ECU, I have 12v. Continuity at all ground
> points. Recent battery, and clean terminals.
> I repaired the harness splice last year and checked it. Still good.
>
> I think I may have purchased a bum ECU. That's the risk with buying from salvage
> yards.
>
> Suggestions, comments, and snide remarks (today is a good day for them LOL)
> appreciated.
> Jon
> STL MO
> 92 V6 AT RC LB

Hi Jon! Well the first thing that came to my head when you said
overcharging - and at 17 volts YIPE! - was a bad PCM, as that regulates
the voltage. What worrys me now is that other componants could have
been crispied by the higher voltage... Check engine light on?

I would also have your battery load tested to make sure it didnt get
cooked from the overcharge condition. As for the PCM, hard for me to
sit back and say "go buy a reman unit and try it", because I can't say
for sure that will fix it.

TerribleTom! New and improved for 2008! Twice As TERRIBLE!
Twice as INSANE! Now with Kung Foo Grip! *batteries not included*
The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj