Re: Turbo Dakota Shenanigans

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 00:25:46 EDT

Andy Levy wrote:

> There's a twin turbo kit for the C6 Corvette which puts the spools
> inside the rear bumper and runs the plumbing back to the engine behind
> the rocker panels.
>
> If it works well enough for a Corvette, maybe the lag isn't so bad?

   There's a performance shop just down from my local indoor shooting
range, so I stop in on occasion. I watched them installing one of these
kits and I asked alot of questions.
#1 In order to make that work, the turbos have to be MUCH bigger to
produce enough boost to matter.
#2 Bigger Turbo + smaller pressurised tube = less lag
#3 Cold air is much easier to get at the back end of a vette
#4 This monstrosity was inspired by the fact that there is just no
extra room in the Vette's engine bay to put anything big enough to be
noticed.

They told me they were charging this guy $15k to do this and he was
happy as a clam. The grain of salt was that they wanted $10k to
supercharge my truck... Y[boost]MV