A/C clutch not engaging if really hot

From: Dale Schultz (d.schultz@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 21:47:33 EDT

Hi:
It's been really hot out in the last few days and my '98 Dakota A/C has been
acting up. The system will run and I get cold air when I first turn it on and
then about 10-15 minutes later the air warms up. Yesterday it was especially
bad during a 1 hour trek. If I turn off the A/C for a couple of minutes and
then back on the compressor starts up again and I get cold air, then the
symptoms repeat. I took it to the A/C shop and they evaluated, vacuumed and
recharged the system. The charge removed was about 1/2 of a system charge of 2
lbs. After that the system was tested and seemed fine and the air now even
colder than before, but again after about 10-15 minutes the compressor turned
off and never came back on. This testing was all done at a stand still so the
engine compartment was really hot. We checked the DC voltage at the connector
for the clutch and there was 12VDC present, but the clutch was not engaging. Do
the clutches suffer from heat related problems or is this just a symptom of age,
as the truck has nearly 300,000km on it?
Thanks.
Dale