Re: How to tell oil age?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 16:52:17 EDT

"Kurt Cypher" <kcypher42.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got several containers of brand-new, sealed dino oil that my Dad
> had in his garage when he passed away two years ago (my brother & I
> are slowly clearing it out so Mom can actually park her car in it).
> We have no idea when Dad got this oil, and would like to try to figure
> out its age before putting it into a motor. Some basic internet
> research says anywhere from 2-5 years shelf-life for motor oil, and
> I'd rather not use this oil in a daily driver if it's beyond the
> recommended shelf-life. Based on the fact that it was in his garage
> two years ago already puts it at the short end of the shelf-life
> ranges I've seen mentioned online, so I'm already figuring it's
> probably too old. It's Pennzoil, and there was standard production
> code info on the containers, but I have no idea how to read those
> codes.

> Any suggestions? If it is too old to use in a vehicle, any
> suggestions on uses for past-its-prime motor oil (hate to see it
> completely go to waste, just because it's old)?

   You can get within the general ballpark based on the API rating,
compare it to the table in this document:

   http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

   For example, if it has an SJ rating, it was produced sometime
between 2001-2004, SL would be 2004, SM would be 2005-present, etc.
Not really a great way to pinpoint the date I know, but it may be
helpful as a rough estimate. You could also try to contact Pennzoil's
customer service dept. or stop at a local retailer which sells
Pennzoil, they may know how to read the date codes for stock rotation
purposes.

   Personally, I wouldn't worry about the shelf life. As long as the
bottles are sealed and thus free of contaiminants, I don't see what it
would hurt. If you use them, you should definitely give them a good
shake first (you should really do that with any oil, even brand new)
just in case some of the additives have settled out, and you may want
to pour a bottle into a clean container first, so that you can shine a
light down into the bottle to make sure there isn't anything which has
come out of solution and is currently a sludge on the bottom. The
most important thing you should check is the API rating, to make sure
it is acceptable for the vehicle you intend to use it in. Check the
owner's manual and make sure the API rating of the oil is equal to or
greater than that called for by the manual. (For example, if the
manual calls for SJ, then SJ, SL, or SM are all acceptable, and SN
will be too once they come out with that...)

   Ultimately, its your vehicle and thus your call, but if it were me,
I'd just use the stuff, assuming it met the required API rating.
Other possible uses might include general household lubrication,
thread tapping or machining lubricant, rust preventative for exposed
metal parts, listing on the vintage section of eBay in 50 years, etc.
:-)

--
                                          -Jon-