Re: ABS and Brake lights staying on

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 14:37:17 EDT

"Leslie Runde" <slarunde@bardstown.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, we're long time lurkers and are needing help.

> Today the dash lights for the ABS and Brakes came on and hasn't gone off.
> Our local dealer can't even just look at it to see what the problem may be
> for awhile. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem may be or have
> experienced it? Is it a speed control sensor? Also, we're needing to go out
> of town this weekend, would it be safe to drive?

  As Bernd said, see if you can get a local auto parts store to scan
it; if any codes are set, that might point you in the right direction.
Also, double check your fuses, I think there may be some for the ABS
system, in which case a blown fuse may cause this. As far as whether
or not it is safe to drive, I suspect that probably your ABS system is
nonfunctional. If you can find a dirt or gravel road, you might be
able to test this. As long as the brakes feel fine otherwise, I don't
think there would be a safety issue with using the truck, just
recognize that you may not have ABS and be prepared to adjust your
emergency braking technique appropriately.

--
                                          -Jon-