Re: Front diff fun... Dakvert drives again

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 20:56:00 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> "Don Rey" <radon220@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Also, if you remember (or care hehe) I mentioned that when my motor
>>mounts failed, the front diff got loose and the driveshaft sheered
>>it's retainers & bolts off. After failing to extract the bolts and
>>failing to successfully drill, tap, and helicoil, I decided to pick up
>>a junkyard diff and get it over with! The replacement is from a '91
>>truck. It has vacuum disconnect (so apparently some Gen IIs have vac
>>disconnect).
>
> [...]
>

> My memory gets worse as I get older, the DML FAQ says that the 1992
> was the first Dak to get the 6 lug wheels, (actually one part says
> 1991 was the first, another says 1992). My crusty brain is telling
> me to agree with the part that says 1991. I *think* the 6 lug change
> came about at the same time as the body style changes. Backing that
> up is I seem to recall Jim (who has a 1991) buying some wheels from
> Ray (who has a 1992), and I *know* 1992 had 6 lug axles, so 1991
> probably does too.) If I'm wrong though, that might explain why the
> 1991 axle you found had more in common with the GenI trucks than
> GenII? Either that, or they changed the axle disconnect along with
> the switch to the Magnum engine. I think my 1992 Ram has a vacuum
> disconnect though, and it has a Magnum engine so who knows? :-)

Rams had CAD (central axle disconnects at least up to 2002 (01 1/2ton,
02 3/4 and 1 tons) I dont know if the current Rams - (of any class)
have disconnects still...

TerribleTom! New and improved for 2008! Twice As TERRIBLE!
Twice as INSANE! Now with Kung Foo Grip! *batteries not included*
The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj