RE: Magnum engine "design flaw"

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 18:07:28 EDT

It's no secret - putting a crossover tube on the fuel rail will help with
the fuel issue - but just better control. The excessive lean condition
claimed has yet to present itself every time I yank the heads on these
things. However, the biggest issue causing head problems is the cooling
system - causing the rear cylinder head cracks (always on #5,7,6,8). Drill,
Tap, and put a crossover tube on the rear cooling passages to help circulate
the coolant instead of building up the "hot spots".

The funny thing in their explanation (while there may be some truth to the
lean condition they're claiming), the injector drivers would pick this
up...along with the misfire monitor. A lean condition (violent explosion)
would cause a unexpected change in crankshaft rotation. Then again...so can
a "el-cheapo" serpentine belt.

- Bernd