Pulled a Ranger from the River

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2008 - 18:00:53 EDT

On my way back to my house today, the corner of my eye caught a
vehicle in the middle of the Hop River. A Ford Ranger was bumper-deep
in water, engine stopped, driver hanging out the door waving his arms
to flag me down. Over my engine and blaring radio I think I hear him
say "Can you give me a jump!?" I get out of my truck, gave him a wierd
look and say "I think you're gonna need more than a jump."

Turns out he has some tow rope, so I don't even need mine. I back down
into the river and let him hook it up. He's pointed down-river (not
perpendicular to it), and I'm feeling lazy, so this guy's just gonna
have to be dragged out. No problem! I dragged the little Ford up onto
the shore, he gives me a little compensation, and I'm on my way. I
heard him try to start the engine again... it turned, but wouldn't
start.

A half hour later, I go by the area again, and he's still there. I had
grabbed some starter fluid this time... but as I take his cold air
tube off, it pours out water. Since the engine will still crank, we
try the starter fluid anyway but it doesn't appear to help right away.
As he cranks, water pours out the tailpipe. He tries again and I hear
a few cylinders firing, so I tell him to keep going. A few more turns
and it starts up!

Anyway, the moral of the story: if you're going to drive in a river,
use a real truck. Thats what Dakotas are for. :)

Also, this story wouldn't be complete if I didn't ask... T-Tom, do you
have relatives in CT?

Don in CT
89 Dak Vert 318 NV3500 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340