Re: Engine Dies and Restarts

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 19:00:26 EDT

Hey, James...

<> Got a new problem. Driving down the highway today my '96 318 drops to an
 idle speed. Any attempt to depress the gas would make the engine severely
 stumble and eventually quit. Coasted to a stop and same thing happens in
 park. Turn engine off and called a friend. Takes him 15 minuets to get to
 me. Turned the key to show him the problem and it fires up and runs
 perfectly. I replaced the fuel pump a couple thousand miles ago and coil
 3-4 thousand miles ago. Even though it's a new reman fuel pump, still
 sounds like an intermittant fuel pressure problem?<>

Could be the fuel filter. Not sure if yours is in-line or attached to the
fuel pump assembly...
I've had vehicles back in the day do that...a piece of crap would get to the
filter & block the fuel
flow to the "stumbling" point...
Turn it off & whatever it was shifted position & the vehicle would run fine
for a while &
then it'd suddenly stumble again...usually happened at the most importune
times...like rush hour...
The DAKSY exhibited the same symptoms about 3 months ago...First - just a
"hiccup" ...
then ran fine...then stumbled & completely died & it turned out to be the
coil...
Them damn electical parts! Ya never knowwhen they're gonna decde to sh*t the
bed...
Good luck & keep us informed...

Bob (DAKSY) Smith
DAKSY2K on AIM