Re: Engine Dies and Restarts

From: Ed McCarrick (edmccarrick@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 20:26:06 EDT

--- On Tue, 9/9/08, Jamie Calder <jcalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Jamie Calder <jcalder3@cfl.rr.com>
> Subject: DML: Engine Dies and Restarts
> To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
> Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 9:10 PM
> Got a new problem. Driving down the highway today my
> '96 318 drops to an
> idle speed. Any attempt to depress the gas would make the
> engine severely
> stumble and eventually quit. Coasted to a stop and same
> thing happens in
> park. Turn engine off and called a friend. Takes him 15
> minuets to get to
> me. Turned the key to show him the problem and it fires up
> and runs
> perfectly. I replaced the fuel pump a couple thousand
> miles ago and coil
> 3-4 thousand miles ago. Even though it's a new reman
> fuel pump, still
> sounds like an intermittant fuel pressure problem?

Hey James,
That sounds very similar to what happened to my '00 4.7 a few years ago. The truck stumbled and eventaully stalled completely. I pulled the codes and had about 9 , most were cylinder misfires. I had it towed to the dealer 2 miles down the road and it started right up and ran properly after coming off the truck. I believe it was one of the postion sensors, cam or crank.

HTH
Ed