Re: Gas price map

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 02:09:34 EDT

> Interesting how the state borders seem to have such an influence on
> prices. I'm guessing that is due to the state portion of the gas
> taxes.

That's something I definitely noticed in college. Walla Walla, WA gas
prices were consistently 10 cents higher than in Milton-Freewater, OR
only 7 miles down the road. The really interesting thing about that
was the fact that Oregon is one of the few states where you can't pump
your own gas, you would assume that the labor involved would increase
the cost of gas slightly, but any change that might have was obviously
overcome by taxes.

> I admit I haven't read a newspaper or tuned into the drive-by media in
> a while, so I might have missed this, but did AK and HI secede? :-)

They are on the list, but yeah, those are incredibly high prices.

One funny thing I noticed on the list is that Wyoming is listed as
having the fourth lowest price for regular gas. The thing they don't
mention is what is considered regular there. I remember from driving
through there that regular was 85 octane, not the usual 87, their
mid-grade was 88 and a good 10 cents more.