Re: Gas price map

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 13:31:07 EDT

"Dustin Williams" <dustinewilliams@gmail.com> wrote:
> One funny thing I noticed on the list is that Wyoming is listed as
> having the fourth lowest price for regular gas. The thing they don't
> mention is what is considered regular there. I remember from driving
> through there that regular was 85 octane, not the usual 87, their
> mid-grade was 88 and a good 10 cents more.

   Weird. Well, I do know that at higher elevations, you don't
technically "need" the additional octane, that is, 85 will perform the
same at a higher elevation that 87 will at a lower elevation, but
still, given that the various gas "levels" are priced based on octane,
I'd say your observation is still valid from a financial standpoint.
If you're paying the same for 85 as you are for 87, you're not getting
as good a value out of the 85, even if your vehicle doesn't
technically need the additional octane.

   Possibly, the reduced demand for an 85 octane increases the
manufacturing/refining cost? (I'm not sure how gasoline is brought to
a certain octane level, wether they do it in the refining process or
just use additives after the fact.)

--
                                          -Jon-