Re: My 08 BBQ Pics...

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 08:45:49 EDT

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 02:01, Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:

> Andy Levy wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 23:42, Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well I finally dragged out my digi cam... coming to the realization that
>>> my
>>> camera is now more than 5 years old.. and is in need of replacement - I
>>> noticed that if I have the quality setting on anything but max of 6
>>> MP....
>>> pics come out looking grainy. Time to upgrade...
>>

>> That's not the reason. My camera is 7 years old and you've seen the
>> pictures that come out of it - I get some really good, clear ones. My
>> guess is that the ISO is set too high on yours.
>>

> er, high iso causes that in film cameras, but it's umlikely in older
> digicams. his prob is more likely other settings or maybe a failing ccd.
> besides the other problem [blurry in low light] would indicate the iso was
> reading too low, if that was the real problem.

High ISO introduces a great deal of noise in digital cameras as well.
Even high-end DSLRs have this issue, although it doesn't become
apparent until you get into ISO numbers that most point & shoot
cameras can't even hit. Unfortunately, many point & shoot cameras
default to an automatic ISO setting, dropping you into a high ISO in
lower light and getting you noise when you don't want it.

If you like, I can prove it to you with identical photos at different
ISOs with my seven year old Canon.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/Sensitivity_01.htm