Re: Future of Dakota..

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 17:24:30 EDT

awyse@sw.rr.com wrote:

> One of our Chrysler Reps were in last week; Word from him is Dakoa
> is on its way out. I certainly hope he's wrong this time. The info
> I'd found was referring to them being downsized; and geting a 4.2L
> Cummins Diesel.

    It wouldn't surprise me if that happened; IMHO, if the Dak isn't
downsized, then there's not much in its favor to keep it from getting
eliminated. The Dak was the perfect size when it was introduced;
IMHO, the GenI and GenII models are just right. Initially, it was
competing against the Ranger and S-10, but had the edge on them
because it was a little bit bigger which gave it better utility and
stability, and the icing on the cake was the availability of the V8
which could not be had in the other two. You got a mid-sized truck
that gave you the benefits of a compact and the ability of a full
size.

   With each redesign, it got bigger and heavier until these days,
there doesn't seem to be much to recommend the Dak over a Ram.

   Unless Dodge allows the Dak to return to its roots as a midsize, I
fear its days are numbered. :-(

--
                                          -Jon-