Re: Durango lug nut torque?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 20:12:57 EDT

"Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@dodgetrucks.org> wrote:

> 100-110. Problem with the high torque is warping. We do check with a TQ
> wrench on certain requests though. I know where you're going with this and
> there is no problem with this practice...even engineering agrees (as it was
> recommended by them).

   I wasn't really going anywhere, :-) just wanted to confirm to make
sure I understood; thought maybe there was a chance that you may have
been thinking of the original Durangos when you said 100 ft-lbs, as
opposed to 130 with the latest model. Now I know you were indeed
referring to the newer Durango.

   The lug nuts are at 110 now so I'll leave them there and see how
that works. (This is the second time now that the lug nuts have
loosened at 100 on this vehicle. Hopefully the extra 10 lb-ft will do
the trick.) I will also check the owner's manual, and if it does
indeed range up to 115, maybe next time we'll set it there. Warped
rotors are much less annoying than having the wheels fall off. :-)

   I will also double check the calibration on my torque wrench.

--
                                          -Jon-