Re: Need Computer Help This Time

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 04:21:37 EST

> CPU? RAM? mainboard??

Well, a hard freeze is technically considered a bios freeze. If this
had been a machine that had come to the help desk in my computer
support days in college I would have suspected faulty hardware and
started with RAM since we always had plenty of it. Any of those three
could do it. The fact that it does it when the CPU is at full throttle
and under a full load would lead me lean towards the CPU.

Do you have any other compatible hardware that you could try for
trouble shooting purposes? Start with trying different, even slower
RAM, or even just use one of the two DIMMs and then switch, if it's
not those if you have a processor that you could swap out that could
help isolate it. Obviously if none of those do it then it's likely a
faulty motherboard.

The fact that what you are doing is not video or sound intensive would
lead me to rule these out based on logic, but if the RAM and CPU check
out then it may be worthwhile to question them. I was recently getting
the BSOD while recording TV due to a faulty sound card.

I am a bit drunk so I should stop before I begin rambling incoherently....

Happy Thanksgiving!