Re: Jeep GC tailgate

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2008 - 07:20:00 EST

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at Michael Maskalans
>Have you guys lubed the scissor mechanism behind the handle? Having >taken mine apart, that's where it WILL get sticky. Nothing in the handle >ever will and the latches are easy to lube.

Yep that's how I eventually got the Dak tailgate to work as it should.
I sprayed white lithium grease in there. Still feels good a year
later.

> What year/generation is it? I have a '99 WJ I'm working on that I use the
> "yank" method for. sometimes it takes one, sometimes three. it never opens
> like it should though.
>
> I'm interested to see what you find.

It's a 98. The past few days I've been spending too much time
shoveling or defrosting inside to do anything other than drive the
Jeep. But I'll get into it later this week and let you know what I
find.

Don in CT
89 Dakvert 318 5spd 4x4 (bad brakes and ice in gas lines)
98 Jeep GC