Re: Buying a 1989 vs. 1991+ 1st Gen Dakotas

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@enchantedbookstore.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 01:58:23 EST

By "local" do you mean Spokane, WA area?

As for the seller, he's waffling about selling it, which is one reason I
was looking into other options. He bought it for a business he no
longer owns. I've not seen it yet, just heard it's in good condition,
long bed with a shell over the bed, tan, ~120k. CD player installed,
only problem he could recall was that someone broke into it and messed
up the steering column trying to hotwire it, so the low/high switch for
the headlights is busted and the steering wheel moves up and down a
bit. I've torn apart 1980's Chrysler steering columns before to fix
them, so that didn't put me off much.

Last I heard it'd been buried in a snow drift in his back yard when he
was moving snow with a bobcat... I don't have money to buy until
mid-late January, but he was going to cut me a deal if he decides to
sell and I still want it... if not interested parties on the list will
have second dibs. No solid number yet (as I said, waffling), but I know
he paid $2100 and he thought he overpaid.

And yes, I can understand being afraid to weld frames... a while back
the Dad of a friend of mine sold a '91 318 Jeep GC for a pittance
because his (blonde!) daughter wrecked it and the frame was too messed
up in the rear to make it safe even if they did weld it. I once owned a
''85 Chrysler Laser that had a heavily tweaked suspension that cost more
than I paid for the whole car... it had rust in the fender wells, rust
in the frame rails... but man it would corner! It would change lanes so
fast that you could give an unsuspecting passenger a lump on the side of
their head from whacking the side window (happened once) but I always
worried something rusty was going to snap mid-corner. That car
definitely taught me all about the oddities of the 1980's era Mopars. :)

MattB