Re: Buying a 1989 vs. 1991+ 1st Gen Dakotas

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@enchantedbookstore.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 04:21:51 EST

Good info, thanks!

People are commenting a lot on my 3" exhaust comment. What threw me off
on the exhaust was the comment on Allpar.com on the Dakotas:

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dakota-1987.html
"In 1994, the exhaust manifolds were shrunk to 1 5/8" and the exhaust
was reduced to 2.5" from 3", eliminating 5 horsepower but no doubt
saving some money; the torque curve was also adjusted via cam timing. In
1996, EGR was eliminated."

I assumed that was the exhaust size from where the downpipes merged
back... I guess Allpar is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. :)

On another note, how "bad" are the 5 speeds prior to the 1993 models?
As in, 1980's Dodge Ram 4 speed manual bad, or just "not very smooth"?
A friend of mine's Dad had an '87 Ram with the 318 and the 4 speed...
it's like moving the earth every time you shift. :)

Thanks again,

MattB